How to Ask the Right Questions When Hiring A Tree Service
Ideally, when you hire a local tree service you get a fair quote, the job gets completed on time and you’re happy with the completion. That’s exactly what would happen when you call a local tree service company in the perfect world! But we don’t live in the perfect world. We live in a capitalist country where everyone is really just in it for themselves (that’s a topic for another type of blog!). It’s real though – there’s getting a fair quote and waiting 8 weeks for the job to be completed.
It happens all the time. We see people hire local tree services for anything from tree trimming to tree removal only to get a quote, put a deposit down and then have to follow up with said tree service for weeks just to get the job started. That’s right – to get the job started, not completed.
Top 10 Questions to Ask a Tree Company You’re Thinking of Hiring:
- Is your estimate the final price or will there be other costs?
- When will the job be completed by?
- When you say next week, is that an estimate or can I expect the job to be completed by then?
- What happens if you get other work that’s more pressing?
- Do you have insurance?
- Do you have a reference that I can call?
- Can you go a little lower than that?
- How long does it take the job to be completed?
- What’s your tree service website?
- How long have you been in the tree business?
If they can’t answer simple questions like what’s your tree service website then they are probably not a reputable tree company. Every reputable tree company has a couple things down pat: website, insurance, references etc. The other big question is “Can you go a little lower than that?” because that’s going to separate the men from the boys. The tree guys that let you beat them down a few hundred bucks gave you that quote with justifying it!
Make sure you always try to beat up your tree company for a few hundred bucks. If they don’t let you beat them up and their quote is already fair – that’s who you should use! Because their quote is justified. It’s not just a made up price point that you’ll hopefully say yes to. There’s a huge difference there.
From everyone on the La Tree Service FAQ team – we hope that you enjoyed this article and learned something from it.